Sweet Potato Gnocchi:
- 1 large sweet potato (about 600 g)
- 1 1/3 cup (gluten-free) flour* (170 g) (+more for dusting)
- 2-3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes or vegan parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegan butter (to pan-fry)
Oven roasted tomatoes:
- 250 g cherry tomatoes
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp pine nuts
- fresh herbs of choice
Sweet Potato Gnocchi:
- Prick the sweet potato a few times with a fork and microwave until soft, for 7-10 minutes. (Optionally, bake the sweet potato in the oven for about 50-60 minutes).
- Peel the sweet potato, scoop the flesh into a bowl and mash until smooth. Add nutritional yeast/ parmesan + salt and mix until combined. Add the flour and knead gently but don’t over knead it or the dough will get sticky. Add more flour if needed but try to add as little as possible to get fluffy and soft gnocchi.
- Transfer the dough to a floured working surface, form it into a flat ball and cut into quarters. Take a piece and form a long rope, rolling it along your floured surface. Cut the rope into 3/4-inch (2 cm) pieces and either cook them this way or create the distinctive ridges.
- To create the typical gnocchi ridges, place the gnocchi at the top of the fork tines and gently press down, rolling it across the fork with your thumb (see pictures in the text above).
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil, add the gnocchi, and cook until the gnocchi float to the top of the water. Drain and optionally, toss with a little olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Now you can continue making the recipe to serve them immediately, or refrigerate the gnocchi to serve them later, or freeze them for further meals.
Pan-fried Gnocchi with roasted Tomatoes:
- Put the tomatoes onto a baking sheet or baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle garlic cloves throughout. Season with a little salt & pepper and toss to coat. Spread out into a single layer and roast in a preheated oven at 400°F (200°C) for 15-20 minutes.
- Toast pine nuts in a small pan without additional oil. Then set aside.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat until lightly bubbling. Add the gnocchi and roast until golden-brown and crispy on the outside. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve your crispy Gnocchi with roasted tomatoes and toasted pine nuts and sprinkle over vegan parmesan cheese and fresh chopped herbs, if you like.
- You can use regular wheat flour or a gluten-free flour blend.
- Water will absorb more flour, resulting in a denser gnocchi. So please do not boil the sweet potato.
- You can find suggestions about the storage etc. in the text above.