Lemon Poppy Seed Donuts
- 1/2 cup (0.03 ml) maple syrup add 1 tbsp sugar for sweeter
- 1/3 cup (81.33 ml) lemon juice 1 tbsp more if using whole grain flours
- 1/4 cup (56 ml) oil
- 1/4 cup (61 ml) water or non dairy milk
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) vanilla extract, optional
- 1 1/2 cup (187.5 g) flour I use all purpose or a combination of all purpose and whole wheat pastry/white whole wheat flour, 1 :1 or 2:1 ratio
- 1 tbsp starch (cornstarch or arrowroot starch)
- 1.5 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) baking soda
- 1/3 tsp (0.33 tsp) salt
- 1/8 tsp (0.13 tsp) turmeric for color optional
- (NaN ) zest of 1/2 to 1 lemon depending on the size of the lemon and your preference of lemonyness
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 C). Mix the wet ingredients in a bowl until well combined.
Add the 1 1/4 cup flour and the rest of the dry ingredients and whisk well to make a smooth batter. Add rest of the flour 1 tbsp at a time to make a smooth flowy batter, but not overly watery or overly stiff. You might not need all of the flour if using whole grain flour.
Pour the batter into a greased donut pan. Even it out using a spatula.
Bake for 20 to 22 minutes. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes then remove the donuts. (bake for 12 mins for mini muffins, 22 mins for regular size muffins).
You can use the cream cheese frosting from my lemon cake on these donuts or use a simple sugar icing (half cup of powdered sugar with a tsp or so lemon juice, whisk until icing consistency)
Dip the donuts in the prepared icing or frosting. Sprinkle more poppy seeds on the top.