Date Caramel Maple Pecan Granola
- 12 soft dates , soaked in warm water for atleast a half hour
- 2 tbsp maple syrup , 4 tbsp for sweeter
- 1 tbsp oil , coconut or neutral (or omit for oilfree and 1 tbsp more maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup (59.15 ml) non dairy milk or reserved soaking water from the dates
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 1/3 cup (26.67 g) shredded coconut , divided
- 1.5 cups (121.5 g) old fashioned oats (certified glutenfree if needed), or use puffed glutenfree grains
- 1/2 cup (49.5 g) pecans , heaping cup, a mix of chopped and halfs
- 1/4 cup (16 g) pumpkin seeds , or other seeds or nuts such as cashews
- 2 tbsp flax seed meal
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup (80 g) dried blueberries , or chopped dates or other dried fruit
Line a baking dish with parchment. Preheat the oven to 275 deg F (135 C). Drain the dates (reserve soaking water) and blend with the maple syrup, oil, 1/4 cup milk/soaking water, salt, cinnamon, and 1 tbsp shredded coconut, until smooth. (Add another tbsp of soaking water to help with the blending if needed).
In a large bowl, combine the oats, coconut, pecans, pumpkin seeds, flax and chia. You can also add 1/4 cup more of chopped nuts or seeds of choice.
Add the blended date mixture and mix well until all the dry ingredients are coated. Sprinkle a good pinch of salt on the mix.
Transfer to parchment lined baking sheet or dish. Bake at 275 degrees F for 35 mins, then turn the tray around. Move the granola after 15 mins and then continue to bake for another 20 mins or until crisp. (total 65 to 75 mins)
Cool for 5 mins, then mix in dried fruit of choice. Cool completely before storing.
Store in airtight glass container for upto a month. Serve over breakfast oats, chia pudding, yogurt, smoothie bowls etc