VEGAN BROCCOLI CHEESE SOUP RECIPE
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (For color)
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast (Or more to taste)
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup water (Add more if needed)
- 6 cups broccoli florets, chopped small
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Red pepper flakes/cayenne pepper/parsley (Garnish)
Add olive oil to a dutch oven pot and saute the diced onions over medium heat until softened. Add cubed potatoes, carrots, cashews, a pinch of salt and 2 cups of water. Bring it to a low simmer and then cover it and let it cook for 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Almost all of the water should be absorbed by now.
Let the mixture cool slightly before adding it to a blender. Add the vegetable broth, water, paprika, garlic powder, turmeric, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper to the food processor. Blend on high until smooth and creamy. Pour the soup back into the original pot and bring it to a boil.
Chop the broccoli up into bite-size chunks and add it to the blended soup. Reduce the heat to a low simmer, cover, and let it cook for 5-10 minutes or until the broccoli is soft.
Garnish each bowl with red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, or parsley.
- You can substitute chickpeas, great northern beans or cannelloni beans for the cashews if you want this recipe to be nut-free.
- You can use frozen broccoli in this recipe but you’ll need to cook it first and then just add it to the soup at the end. You can skip bringing the soup to a boil and then letting it simmer for 10 minutes because that step is just to cook the broccoli.
- Feel free to add grated carrots or other vegetables to the soup when you add the broccoli.