Vegan Blueberry Muffins with Pineapple
- 1/2 cup (113 g) vegan cream cheese (I use kite hill almond plain) Or Use cashew cream or vegan yogurt
- 1/2 cup (126.88 ml) + 2 tbsp non dairy milk
- 3 tbsp oil or use more non dairy milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or use 2 tbsp sugar + 1 tbsp non dairy milk
- 1/3 cup (66.67 g) vegan sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups (187.5 g) flour (I use a combination of unbleached all purpose and whole wheat)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp (0.13 tsp) salt
- 1/2 cup (74 g) wild blueberries (frozen or fresh)
- 1/2 cup (82.5 g) chopped pineapple or use 1/4 cup more berries
Line a muffin pan. Preheat the oven to 365 degrees F(185 C). Blend the wet ingredients in a blender with 1/2 cup non dairy milk. Add to a bowl. Use 2 tbsp more dairy milk to rinse out the blender and add to the bowl. (or add all the wet ingredients to a bowl, mix with a spoon until smooth and well combined)
Add 1 cup flour, salt, baking powder to a bowl, mix well. (You can add spices/flavors at this point like cinnamon, nutmeg or some lemon zest). Add to the wet.
In the same dry bowl, add 1/2 cup flour, blueberries and pineapple and toss to coat. Add to the wet bowl and mix in. The batter should be thick and stiff. If it is too stiff, add a tbsp of non dairy milk and mix in.
Drop the thick batter onto lined muffin pan. Bake at 365 degrees F for 22 to 25 mins. (To bake a loaf, bake for 40 to 50 mins)
Cool completely and frost or glaze. I use this cashew vanilla frosting. A simple vanilla or lemon icing will work well too. Store on the counter for a few hours and refrigerate for upto 3 days. This muffin also does well with a cinnamon streusel topping. The muffin tastes more cheesecakey after sitting for a day.