Baked Apple Cider Donuts Vegan
Cinnamon sugar topping:
- 1.5 cup (354 ml) apple cider
- 1/4 cup (50 g) sugar (coconut sugar, date sugar, regular or use maple syrup), 1/3 cup for sweeter
- 1 cup (125 g) flour (I use a mix of whole wheat and all purpose), see note for gluten-free
- 1 tbsp almond flour , or use more flour
- 3/4 tsp (0.75 tsp) cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp (0.13 tsp) cardamom or nutmeg
- (NaN ) dash of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) baking soda
- 1 tbsp oil or applesauce (or both for extra moisture when using whole grain flours)
- 1 tbsp cane sugar
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 350 deg F(180 C). Grease a donut pan or line muffin pan. Cook the cider and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat for 20 to 25 mins to reduce to about 3/4 cup. Cool the cider. Reserve 2 tsp to brush the donuts.
In a bowl, mix the rest the dry ingredients. Add the concentrated cider and oil/applesauce. Mix well to combine.
Immediately pour the batter into the donut pan or muffin pan.
Bake for 11 mins for donuts or mini muffins, 20-22 mins for regular muffins. Cool for 5 mins, then release from the pan.
Mix the cinnamon sugar into a ziplock.
Cool the donuts for another 5 mins. Brush donuts with the cider mixture from step 1, or use oil/melted vegan butter. Add to the ziplock and shake, or dip in the sugar mixture.