Tomato Mozzarella Parmesan Bake
- 2 Tablespoons butter,melted
- 8 – 10 slices french bread baguette ,cut into one inch thick slices
- 1 cup green peppers, diced
- 1 cup onion,diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- 1 Teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium size tomatoes, each tomato cut into 4 thick slices
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- fresh basil,torn in pieces for garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Brush melted butter over both sides of the baguette slices, place on a baking sheet and bake until slices are golden brown and crisp on both sides. Turning slices if necessary to get both sides browned and crispy. Remove from the oven and let cool. Cube the slices. I cut each slice into 4 cubes for a total of 3 cups of nice sized bread cubes. Lightly butter an 11×9 inch casserole dish. Set aside. Reduce the oven heat to 350 degrees.
- Place one Tablespoon olive oil in a medium to large size saute pan. Place the diced onions and peppers in the pan and saute until slightly caramelized and softened. Add the minced garlic to the pan and cook and stir 1 more minute.
- Place the eggs in a large bowl, whisk until well beaten. Add the bread cubes , garlic, peppers and onions, and salt and pepper. Toss to coat the ingredients. Place the mixture into the prepared casserole dish. Place the tomato slices in a single layer on top of the bread cubes. Sprinkle both cheeses over top the tomato slices, bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes until bread cubes and cheese are golden brown on top. Garnish with torn basil leaves. Serve immediately, refrigerate any leftover casserole covered.