Tofu Bhurji Vegan Bhurji
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) oil or 2 tbsp broth for oilfree
- 1/2 (0.5 ) red or yellow onion , finely chopped
- 1 clove (1 clove) garlic , minced
- 1 (1 ) green chilli , serrano or thai , finely chopped or use 2 tbsp finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) ground cumin or ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) turmeric
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) black pepper
- 1 (1 ) medium tomato , finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp (0.5 tsp) salt , divided
- 14 oz (14 oz) firm tofu , lightly squeezed to remove extra dipping moisture and crumbled evenly
- 1/2 cup (8 g) loosely packed cilantro
- 1/4 tsp (0.25 tsp) kala namak
Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 mins or until starting to get golden. Add garlic and chili and a pinch of salt and cook for another 2 mins until golden.
Add turmeric, cumin, black pepper and mix in. Add tomatoes and 1/4 tsp salt and mix in, cook for a minute to soften. (Add in other veggies such as peppers, zucchini etc with the tomatoes if you like)
Add cilantro, crumbled tofu and 1/4 tsp salt and mix well. Cover and cook for 2 mins (longer for dryer). Taste and adjust.
Sprinkle in kala namak, and mix in for a few seconds and take off heat. Let sit for a minute before serving over toasts, pita bread or part of a breakfast bowl with roasted potatoes, crunchy greens.