- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 large red pepper, finely diced
- 1 large yellow pepper, finely diced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 (10oz) can RO*TEL Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies (Chunky)
- 2 cups Hunt’s Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 (15.25oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (15.8oz) can black eyed peas, drained
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 cup vegetable (or chicken) broth
- Toppings: fresh cilantro, shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream
- In a large dutch oven, heat the olive oil, over medium high heat, and sauté the onions until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another minute, being careful not to let it burn.
- Add the peppers and the sweet potato and cook with the onions/garlic for a few minutes, or until the veggies soften and develop some color.
- Add the tomatoes, the corn, the black eyed peas, the maple syrup, the chili powder, the cayenne (if using), the cinnamon and the oregano and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds, or until the spices are fragrant.
- Add the broth and bring to a simmer.
- Cover and reduce the heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Cook for 30 minutes, or until the sweet potato is tender.
- Uncover and cook for 15-30 more minutes or until slightly reduced.
- Remove from heat and serve with desired toppings.
Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months!