Spicy Ginger Date Cookies
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour spelt flour can also be used
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup one stick butter
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh peeled ginger (from about a 2″ piece)
- 1/2 cup natural cane sugar
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup chopped dried dates
- 1/2 cup turbinado sugar for rolling
Mix together the flour, baking soda, salt, and ground ginger in a medium bowl. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan, melt together butter, molasses, natural cane sugar, and fresh ginger. Allow to cool for a bit, and whisk in the egg. Stir in the dates.
Add butter mixture to flour mixture, stirring to just combine.
Refrigerate dough for at least 30 minutes.
When ready to bake, line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Put the turbinado sugar in a small bowl.
Using a small kitchen scoop or spoon, get small portions of the dough and roll into no bigger than 1-inch balls.
Coat each ball in turbinado sugar and place on prepared baking sheet.
Bake each batch for 7-9 minutes. Allow to cool on a cooling rack.