Spaghetti with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce and Goat Cheese
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 large yellow onion halved and thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1 16- oz jar roasted red peppers
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 8 oz. spaghetti I used chickpea spaghetti, which is gluten free and grain free
- 4 oz. soft goat cheese crumbled, divided
- extra fresh basil for garnish (optional)
In a medium saucepan, sauté the onions in 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil over medium heat, until softened and starting to turn brown and slightly caramelized.
Add the garlic, roasted red peppers (including the liquid from the jar), and basil leaves. Sauté until garlic is fragrant and basil has wilted (about 30 seconds to a minute).
Using an immersion blender, blend the sauce together directly in the pot until desired texture is reached. I stopped blending just before it got super creamy, so some texture remained.
Add half of the goat cheese to the sauce and stir until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, cook pasta according to directions on package in very salty water, stopping cooking one minute before cooking time indicated on package.
Transfer pasta directly from the cooking pot to the sauce and allow to finish cooking for the last minute in the sauce, stirring together to coat the spaghetti. Add 1/4 cup pasta water if the sauce looks dry.
Serve drizzled with remaining extra-virgin olive oil, remaining crumbled goat cheese, chiffonade cut basil, and some fresh cracked black pepper.