Smoky Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup
- 1 lb. dry black beans presoaked and drained
- 1 red or green bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 stalks celery plus the leaves finely chopped
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon cut into small pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Cotija cheese sliced avocado, sour cream, chopped red or green onions, hot sauce, or other fixings for serving (optional)
Stir together all ingredients besides cilantro to your slow cooker.
Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours, or until beans are tender.
Use a potato masher to mash the beans in the soup to thicken to desired consistency.
Stir in cilantro.
Serve with optional fixings.