Smoky Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup
- 1 lb. dry black beans presoaked and drained
- 1 red or green bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 stalks celery plus the leaves finely chopped
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon cut into small pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Cotija cheese sliced avocado, sour cream, chopped red or green onions, hot sauce, or other fixings for serving (optional)
- Stir together all ingredients besides cilantro to your slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours, or until beans are tender.
- Use a potato masher to mash the beans in the soup to thicken to desired consistency.
- Stir in cilantro.
- Serve with optional fixings.