Rosemary, Parmesan, and Ham Scones
- 2 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (not packed)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, VERY cold and cut into tiny pieces
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk (full-fat)
- 4 ounces Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces ham, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°(F). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl add the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and brown sugar; mix well to combine. Cut the butter into small cubes then quickly work it into the mixture (using your fingers, two forks, or a pastry cutter) until it resembles a coarse meal. Set aside. In a small bowl whisk together the egg and milk, beating well to combine. Add the liquid mixture to dry and use a fork to stir everything together until just moistened.
- Add in the Parmesan cheese, ham, and rosemary and gently fold them into dough with a spatula.
- Pour the shaggy dough out onto a clean, floured work surface and shape the dough into an 8-inch circle. Cut the dough into 8 wedges and carefully transfer to the prepared sheet.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the tops are lightly golden brown.
- Cool for 5 minutes on the tray, then serve warm.