Rhubarb Vanilla Bean Bundt Cake with Rhubarb Syrup
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 vanilla bean, split with the seeds scraped out
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups finely chopped rhubarb
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 cups chopped rhubarb
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, beat the softened butter until creamy (about 2 minutes).
- Gradually add in the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes).
- Add in one egg at a time, beating for 30-40 seconds after each addition. Scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Beat in vanilla bean.
- Finally, alternately add the flour mixture (three additions) and the sour cream (two additions).
- In a greased and floured bundt pan (or angel food cake pan), scoop half the batter, spreading with a spatula.
- Sprinkle with the two cups of finely chopped rhubarb.
- Top with the remainder of the batter and smooth with spatula.
- Bake at 350F for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Invert the cake on a cooling rack then place the cooling rack over a baking sheet.
- While the cake is baking, combine the water, sugar and three cups rhubarb in a pot over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Pour the cooked liquid into the bowl of a food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- When the cake is hot from the oven, use a pastry brush and coat the outside with the syrup. Allow to soak in and then reapply.
- Let the cake cool.