Rhubarb Ginger Layer Cake with Rhubarb Buttercream
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
- 1 ¼ cup whole milk
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare three 8-inch cake pans and set aside.
- Sift together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the butter until smooth. Add in the sugar and mix on medium for 3-5 minutes until light and fluffy. Stop the mixer and scrape down the bottom and sides of the bowl. With the mixer on low, add in the vanilla and egg whites – incorporating one at a time. Stop the mixer and scrape down the bowl.
- With the mixer on low and in alternating batches, add in the dry ingredients and milk. Mix on medium for no more than 30 seconds after all of the ingredients are added in.
- Evenly distribute the batter into the prepared pans. Bake for about 23-26 minutes or until done and a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes before removing the cakes from their pans.