Skip to content
Rhubarb Cake Recipe
Rhubarb cake ingredients
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest 1 orange
- 1 1/2 cups rhubarb, small dice
Rhubarb Cake Orange Icing Ingredients
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tbsp orange juice, fresh
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Spray a 9x5x3″ loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time mixing well after each.
- Add the vanilla and the orange zest.
- Alternatively add the flour with the sour cream, starting and finishing with the flour.
- Fold in the rhubarb.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pan, smooth top and bake for 60 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- 10. Let cool 10 minutes
- 11. Remove from pan and complete the cooling on a wire rack.
- 12. Store in an air tight container for a few days if needed.
Orange icing instructions
- Sift the powdered sugar.
- Combine the fresh orange juice and sifted powdered sugar until a thick icing forms.
- If the icing is too thin, add more powdered sugar.
- If the icing is too thick, add orange juice, a few drops at a time.
- The icing should not flow freely, it should be thick so it forms a nice layer on the cake.