Red Velvet Brownies with Cream Cheese Icing
FOR THE RED VELVET BROWNIES.
- 200 g (1 cup / 7oz) light brown sugar
- 100 g (1/2 cup / 3.5oz) white granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon gel red food colouring
- (3/4 cup) plain (all-purp) flour
- 50 g (1/2 cup) unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 113 g (1/2 cup / 1 stick) unsalted butter, melted & cooled
- 3/4 cup roughly chopped dark 70% chocolate
SUPER CREAMY CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons plain (all-purp) flour
- 113 g (1/2 cup / 1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 250 g cream cheese, softened
FOR THE RED VELVET BROWNIES
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / 160C fan forced. Line an 8×8 inch square baking tin with baking paper.
- Use a handheld beater to beat together both sugars and the eggs until pale and frothy (about 1 minute). Add the vanilla and red food colouring and beat through.
- Sift over the flour, cocoa and salt and use a spatula to mix through until just combined.
- Mix through the butter, then the chocolate pieces until just combined.
- Bake for around 40 minutes, turning the tray halfway through. The brownies are done when a toothpick inserted comes out with some wet crumbs but not with raw batter. The top should be dry and it should feel dense but soft to the touch in the middle.
FOR THE CREAMY CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- Once the brownies are nearly cool.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, whisk together the milk, half of the sugar and the flour. Make sure there are no lumps, then continue to heat and whisk regularly for another 3-4 minutes until you have a very thick paste (like puddig consistency).
- Transfer it to a plate, spread it out to about 1cm thick, then cover it with plastic wrap pressing the plastic wrap to the surface. Place in the freezer for around 25 minutes until cool (not cold or frozen, but no longer warm).
- Beat the butter and remaining sugar on medium for about 5 minutes or until very light and creamy – scrape down the sides of the bowl every so often.
- Add the cream cheese and beat until combined and smooth (only about 1 minute). Now add the milk paste mixture 1/3 at a time, beating for about 30 seconds between each. On the last one, beat for a minute, still on medium. Again, make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl a few times.
- Spread over the top of the brownies