Red Rice and Beans
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 large bell pepper diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes or to taste
- 14.5 oz. 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 16 oz. 1 can black beans, rinsed
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
In a large, heavy-bottomed pot or skillet, sauté the onion in olive oil for about 3-5 minutes. Add the bell pepper and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
Add the garlic, cumin, and red pepper flakes. Cook for a minute.
Add the diced tomatoes and keep cooking, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
At this point, add the rice and veggie broth. Stir everything well and bring to a boil. Cover with a tight lid, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for about 45 minutes,* or until the rice is cooked through.
Stir in the black beans and cilantro. Let it rest for 5 minutes. Serve.