PORTOBELLO FAJITAS-30 MINUTE
- 2-3 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 onion
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning (recipe below)
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (sub water/broth for oil-free)
- 6 corn tortillas (or other tortilla)
TOPPINGS OF CHOICE
- Avocado, guacamole, salsa, dairy-free cheese, cashew sour cream, nutritional yeast (I use this brand)
TACO SEASONING (YIELDS ABOUT 3 TBSP.)*
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional – if you like heat)
- Remove stems of mushrooms, spoon out gills if desired, and wipe tops clean. Cut into about 1/3 inch thick slices.
- Thinly slice bell peppers and onion.
- Make taco seasoning if necessary (combine all ingredients in a bowl).
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp. olive oil (or water/broth for oil-free) and the peppers and onions. Cook about 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning.
- Stirring occasionally, cook another 7-8 minutes or until softened. Add juice of 1/2 lime (or more) and stir. Salt if necessary and turn off heat.
- While the veggies are cooking, prepare your toppings of choice.
- Warm the tortillas if desired.
- Spoon the fajita mixture into the center of tortillas, and serve with toppings of choice.
*Taco seasoning recipe yields about 3 Tbsp. Simply store the leftovers in a sealed glass container for later use!