PORTOBELLO FAJITAS-30 MINUTE
- 2-3 large portobello mushrooms
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 onion
- 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning (recipe below)
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (sub water/broth for oil-free)
- 6 corn tortillas (or other tortilla)
TOPPINGS OF CHOICE
- Avocado, guacamole, salsa, dairy-free cheese, cashew sour cream, nutritional yeast (I use this brand)
TACO SEASONING (YIELDS ABOUT 3 TBSP.)*
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional – if you like heat)
Remove stems of mushrooms, spoon out gills if desired, and wipe tops clean. Cut into about 1/3 inch thick slices.
Thinly slice bell peppers and onion.
Make taco seasoning if necessary (combine all ingredients in a bowl).
In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 Tbsp. olive oil (or water/broth for oil-free) and the peppers and onions. Cook about 2 minutes.
Add mushrooms and 1 Tbsp. taco seasoning.
Stirring occasionally, cook another 7-8 minutes or until softened. Add juice of 1/2 lime (or more) and stir. Salt if necessary and turn off heat.
While the veggies are cooking, prepare your toppings of choice.
Warm the tortillas if desired.
Spoon the fajita mixture into the center of tortillas, and serve with toppings of choice.
*Taco seasoning recipe yields about 3 Tbsp. Simply store the leftovers in a sealed glass container for later use!