Skip to content
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
FOR THE TOPPING:
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
- 1 20-oz. can pineapple rings in juice
- stemless maraschino cherries
FOR THE CAKE BATTER:
- 1 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 c. unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 c. sour cream
- 1/4 c. pineapple juice (from can used for topping)
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease a round 9” cake pan.
- Make topping: Mix butter with brown sugar and add to prepared cake pan. Let mixture spread to the edges, then add 7 pineapple rings. Place cherries inside and in between pineapple slices.
- Make batter: In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside. In a large bowl using a hand mixer, cream butter with sugars. Beat in egg, vanilla, and sour cream, then slowly beat in flour mixture and pineapple juice until just combined.
- Spoon the batter over the pineapple, gently spreading out in an even layer.
- Bake until cake is golden and a toothpick comes out clean, about 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven, wait 5 minutes and flip cake upside-down onto serving platter. Wait 30 seconds more, then carefully lift pan off. Let cool completely before slicing and serving.