Mushroom and Cheddar Omelettes
- 8 oz. mushrooms sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs optional- such as tarragon, parsley, or thyme
- 4 oz. aged cheddar cheese grated
- 6 eggs
- chopped green onions or chives for serving (optional)
- Sauté the mushrooms in a nonstick skillet it 1 tablespoon butter, seasoned with salt and pepper, and fresh herbs (if using) over medium-high heat. Try not to stir them around too much, to allow the moisture to evaporate, until softened (about 3-4 minutes).
- Meanwhile, beat three of the eggs well in a bowl or pyrex measuring cup and make sure your cheese is grated.
- Remove the mushrooms from the skillet to a plate.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of butter to the skillet.
- Add the eggs and, using a wooden spoon, scrape the sides to the center. Tilt the pan towards where you are scraping to allow the eggs to pool into the space. Do this until the eggs are almost completely cooked.
- Add half the mushrooms and half the cheese to one side of the eggs. Gently fold over the other side of the eggs on top of the mushrooms, turn the heat to low, and cover. Allow to sit for one minute so the cheese melts.
- Repeat with remaining three eggs for your second omelette.
- Garnish with green onions or chives, if desired.