Moroccan Butternut Squash, Chickpea, and Spinach Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock water can also be used
- 3 cups diced butternut squash
- 2.5 cups 2 15 oz. cans cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups packed baby spinach roughly chopped
- juice of one lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro plus more for garnish
- Cooked rice quinoa, or cous cous to serve (optional)
In a large pot, saute onion and ginger in oil over medium-high heat until softened.
Add garlic; saute until fragrant (approximately one minute)
Add spices, stock, and squash. Bring to a boil, turn heat to low, cover, and simmer until squash is fork-tender (approximately 15 minutes)
Add chickpeas and spinach, turn heat to medium, and cover. The spinach will wilt and the chickpeas will heat through.
Stir stew, adding the lime juice and cilantro. The squash will naturally integrate into the sauce to thicken slightly.
Serve over rice, quinoa, cauliflower rice, or cous cous if desired.