Moroccan Butternut Squash, Chickpea, and Spinach Stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock water can also be used
- 3 cups diced butternut squash
- 2.5 cups 2 15 oz. cans cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups packed baby spinach roughly chopped
- juice of one lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro plus more for garnish
- Cooked rice quinoa, or cous cous to serve (optional)
- In a large pot, saute onion and ginger in oil over medium-high heat until softened.
- Add garlic; saute until fragrant (approximately one minute)
- Add spices, stock, and squash. Bring to a boil, turn heat to low, cover, and simmer until squash is fork-tender (approximately 15 minutes)
- Add chickpeas and spinach, turn heat to medium, and cover. The spinach will wilt and the chickpeas will heat through.
- Stir stew, adding the lime juice and cilantro. The squash will naturally integrate into the sauce to thicken slightly.
- Serve over rice, quinoa, cauliflower rice, or cous cous if desired.