Layered Ribbon Jell-O Salad
- 6 3-oz. boxes of Jell-O gelatin (any flavor)
- 6 3/4 cups water, divided
- 3 cups nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt
- Decide on your color pattern (the order for the colors of Jell-O you’ve selected), and begin by working with the color that will go on the bottom.
- Boil 1 cup of water in the microwave.
- Add 1 packet of Jell-O to the boiling water and stir until completely dissolved.
- Pour ½ cup of this liquid into a 9×13 pan to create a “clear” layer, tilting pan for even coverage if necessary (see note).
- Refrigerate until set (see note).
- While the first layer sets, add ½ cup Greek yogurt and 2 tablespoons cold water to the remaining liquid Jell-O for the “cloudy” layer.
- Pour the liquid for your “cloudy” layer on top of the completely set clear layer.
- Refrigerate again until set.
- Repeat this process with each color of Jell-O to create alternating “clear” and “cloudy” layers in each color you’ve chosen.
- Refrigerate until serving.
Achieving even layers: To ensure that each new layer of gelatin liquid spreads evenly across the entire pan, you may need to tilt the pan slightly.
Chilling time: The layers of Jell-O will set up rather quickly because they’re so thin. At first, the layers may be set in as little as 10-15 minutes.
To make thicker layers as I did for the Fourth of July Jell-O Salad:
For each clear layer, use 1 entire box of Jell-O with 1 cup boiling water. Similarly, for each cloudy layer, use 1 entire box of Jell-O with 1 cup boiling water, plus 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt and 2 tablespoons cold water. You can choose any colors you’d like, depending on the holiday or your party’s theme colors.