Instant Pot Refried Beans Recipe
- 1 lb pinto beans dry (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1.5 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Make sure the inner pot is in your Instant Pot. Press saute setting and wait 2 minutes.
- Add oil and onion. Saute 2 minutes. Add garlic and spices (chili powder, cumin and oregano). Saute 2 minutes. Press cancel/off button.
- Add 1/2 cup water to the Instant Pot and using a wooden spoon, deglaze the bottom of the pot. Scrape any cooked on bits.
- Add beans and remaining water and stock. Stir everything.
- Close the lid, set valve to sealing position (the newer IP models do it on their own). Make sure the Instant Pot is set to cook on high pressure. Press manual setting and set timer to 45 minutes. The pressure cooker will beep and will start coming to pressure. This can take about 5 to 7 minutes.
- Once the timer is done, press cancel/off button and let the Instant Pot release the pressure naturally (do not switch the valve). When the pin drops, carefully open the lid away from your face. Stir the beans.
- Set a big colander over a big bowl and strain the beans. Return beans to IP insert. Using a stick blender or hand masher, mash beans to desired consistency, adding the reserved liquid as needed.
- Serve or cool completely and store in container with lid for up to 4 days.
If you like your refried beans completely smooth, add use 3 cups total of water to cook the beans. You will need the extra liquid to mash the beans.