Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 2 lbs Russet potatoes peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk heavy cream or half and half can also be used
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sliced chives optional
- butter for serving optional
- Place the potatoes, water and salt in an Instant Pot.
- Put the lid on, turn the valve to seal, then set the Instant Pot for manual high pressure for 10 minutes.
- When the timer goes off, release the pressure by turning the valve to vent.
- Add the milk, butter and pepper to the Instant Pot. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes to desired consistency. You can add more milk if needed, one tablespoon at a time.
- Alternatively, you can transfer the contents of the Instant Pot to a mixer to whip your potatoes.
- Taste your potatoes and add more salt if needed.
- Spoon the potatoes into a serving bowl. Top with additional pats of butter and sliced chives if desired.