Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- 2 lbs Russet potatoes peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk heavy cream or half and half can also be used
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons sliced chives optional
- butter for serving optional
Place the potatoes, water and salt in an Instant Pot.
Put the lid on, turn the valve to seal, then set the Instant Pot for manual high pressure for 10 minutes.
When the timer goes off, release the pressure by turning the valve to vent.
Add the milk, butter and pepper to the Instant Pot. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes to desired consistency. You can add more milk if needed, one tablespoon at a time.
Alternatively, you can transfer the contents of the Instant Pot to a mixer to whip your potatoes.
Taste your potatoes and add more salt if needed.
Spoon the potatoes into a serving bowl. Top with additional pats of butter and sliced chives if desired.