Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- 3 lbs russet potatoes , peeled, cut into 1″ chunks
- 3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup half and half or milk
- salt and pepper
- chopped dill , optional
- chopped chives , optional
- 1/4 cup sour cream , optional
- Place potatoes in Instant Pot. Add enough water to cover them by about 1″.
- Close the lid. Set the valve to “sealing”.
- Press MANUAL button. Press the +/- button to set to 7 minutes. The IP will start cooking.
- When the pressure cooker beeps, carefully turn the valve to vent ( this is called quick pressure release).
- Drain the potatoes and return to the IP insert or place in a mixing bowl. Add half and half, salt and pepper and if desired, dill or chives and sour cream. Mash with a potato mashed to desired texture.
- I used russet potatoes as I like the texture the best. You can use Yukon gold or red potatoes too but the texture will be slightly different, thicker and not as fluffy.
- The cooking time includes the time the IP needs to come to pressure. For me that was about 5 minutes.