Skip to content
- 2 cups elbow macaroni uncooked
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup chicken stock low-sodium
- 1 cup water
- 1 12 oz. can evaporated milk
- 1.5 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Place macaroni, butter, nutmeg, salt, stock and water in Instant Pot insert. Close the lid. Set valve to “sealing” position.
- Press “manual” button. Set timer to 5 minutes. Make sure your Instant Pot is set to high pressure. The pressure cooker will take about 7 minutes to come to pressure and start cooking.
- When the IP beeps, press “cancel/off” button and switch the valve carefully to quickly release the pressure. Open lid carefully, away from your face.
- Stir macaroni.
- Add milk to macaroni and stir well.
- Add cheese, half of a cup at a time, until you reach desired consistency. See notes.
- You can serve mac immediately or bake in a dish with breadcrumb topping, if desired.
- You can use Gruyere cheese in place of mozzarella cheese.
- I prefer the mild cheddar in mac and cheese because I find the sharp cheddar too chalky for my taste. Feel free to use what you like.
- Add 1/2 cup of cheese at a time until you reach desired consistency. I used 1 cup of cheddar and 1/2 cup of mozzarella.
- To jazz it up, you can add steamed vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, corn, carrots and peas or shredded cooked chicken or ground cooked turkey.
See other recipes