- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 garlic cloves sliced
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup plain hummus
- 1 pound spaghetti pasta
- Juice of 1 lemon + zest
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil plus more for serving
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until al dente according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup of pasta cooking water, then drain the pasta and return to the pot to stay warm.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 5-7 minutes or until fragrant and they soften. Add the garlic, and cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add the spinach and cook for 1 minute, or until is slightly wilts.
- Add the hummus, about ½ cup of the pasta cooking water, the lemon juice and lemon zest, and stir until a creamy sauce forms. Add more pasta water to thin the sauce a little at time, as desired.
- Transfer the cooked pasta to the skillet, turn off the heat and toss everything together. Top with basil and crushed red pepper.
- Serve immediately with parmesan cheese or basil, if desired.