Hashbrown Casserole Recipe
- 5 cups hash browns thawed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried dill optional
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1.25 cup shredded cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add garlic and onion and saute until onion is translucent.
- In a measuring cup, whisk half and half and cornstarch. Add salt, pepper and dill and whisk in.
- Add cornstarch mixture to sauteed onions. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and creamy. Remove from heat and let cool. At this point you can cool the mixture completely, cover and refrigerate until ready to use, even the next day.
- Butter a 13″ x 9″ or 2 quart casserole dish. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together hash browns, cornstarch mixture, sour cream. Season with salt and pepper. The mixture should be thick and creamy. Spread in prepared casserole dish.
- Top with cheese. Bake in oven for 30 to 35 minutes OR until bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired, and serve.
This casserole cuts really easy and clean. If you want to make it more wet, add another 1/2 cup of sour cream to hash brown mixture before baking.
This casserole can be prepared a day ahead, covered and refrigerated. Before baking, let sit in room temperature while your oven preheats.