Green Machine Minestrone Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or bacon grease, butter, or other fat
- 1 onion diced
- 2 stalks celery plus their leaves if available, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 zucchini quartered and sliced
- 2 cups chopped cabbage about one quarter of a head of cabbage
- 2 cups chopped broccoli about one small crown
- 2 cups green beans cut into roughly one-inch pieces (frozen or fresh)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 small can cannellini beans white kidney, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup dry small pasta such as cavatelli or ditalini
- 2 cups chopped spinach fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- extra olive oil Parmesan cheese, and fresh ground black pepper for serving.
- In a large pot, heat the oil and saute the onions and celery over medium high heat until softened and starting to brown (about 3 minutes).
- Add the garlic; stir until fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add zucchini, cabbage, broccoli, and green beans. Season with salt and pepper, and stir to coat.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the beans and pasta and turn heat to low. Simmer until pasta is cooked; about 10 minutes.
- Turn heat off. Stir in spinach, basil, and thyme until wilted and soft.
- Serve with a drizzle of good quality extra virgin olive oil, Parmesan cheese, and freshly ground black pepper.