Green Bean Casserole From Scratch
- 1 lb fresh green beans washed, ends trimmed
- 2 cups half and half or whole milk
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 7 white mushrooms washed and sliced
- 2 slices of bacon chopped
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup French fried onions
US Customary – Metric
- Cut all beans in half and cook in boiling water until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Butter a 2qt baking dish and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, sautee bacon until crispy.
- Add butter, onion and mushrooms and cook until soft.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together milk and cornstarch.
- Add the milk to the saucepan, half of a cup at a time and whisk until it thickens.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the mixture over the green beans. Toss gently to coat.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. You can cover the dish with saran wrap and refrigerate overnight or bake right away.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Top with French fried onions and bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Let sit in room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.