Skip to content
Easy Vegan Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 3/4 cup whole grain brown rice, uncooked
- 6 medium bell peppers, any colour (red, yellow, or green)
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small onions, diced
- 1 cup crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 small carrots, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, cubed
- 3/4 cup fresh parsley, leaves picked and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup tomato purée
- salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- a pinch of chilli
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F.
- In a small pan bring a salted water to a boil over medium heat and cook the rice according to the package instructions. Drain on a colander and set aside.
- Cut off the tops of the bell peppers (“lids”) and set aside. Scoop out the inside and discard the seeds. Wash the peppers carefully and set aside.
- In a large pan heat olive oil, add onion and fry for 2-3 minutes until soft. Add the mushrooms and fry for a further 5-8 minutes. Add carrots and zucchini, fry, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add cooked rice, 1/3 cup parsley, tomato purée, and stir until well combined. Season to taste with salt, pepper and a pinch of chilli.
- Divide the mixture between the peppers and place the “lids” on top.
- Place the stuffed peppers in a greased baking tray. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until slightly brown on the edges.
- Sprinkle remaining parsley on top and serve.
See other recipe