Skip to content
One Pot Easy Cajun Whole Roasted Chicken Recipe
- 8 cups water, warm
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 whole chicken, 3-4 pounds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1/4 cup garlic cloves
- 14 oz chicken stock
- In a large bowl or container with a lid, add water, sugar, soy sauce, salt, and olive oil.
- Mix well and stir to dissolve.
- Add chicken and cover with ice, place lid or plastic wrap over chicken. Place in refrigerator or keep adding ice to keep chicken cold as it brines.
- Brine chicken for at least 6 hours and up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove chicken from brine and pat dry thoroughly.
- Mix butter and remaining herbs and spices and rub generously all over outside and inside of chicken.
- If injecting chicken with cajun butter, melt butter and spices and inject throughout chicken.
- Stuff onion, lemon, and garlic into chicken cavity. Truss if desired.
- Place chicken in dutch oven and place stock in bottom. Cover with lid.
- Roast chicken at 350 degrees for about an hour with lid on. Baste occasionally with chicken stock.
- Remove lid from dutch oven and cook the rest of the 30 (+/-) minutes until an internal temperature reads 160 degrees.
- If chicken skin is not crisp enough, place under broiler the last 5-10 minutes on high (watching carefully to prevent burning) until skin gets crispy and golden brown.
- Remove chicken from dutch oven and place on cooling rack, tent with foil and let rest for 15 minutes to lock in the juices.
- Carve and serve – enjoy!