Chocolate Peanut Butter Caramel Cookies
For the Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1/2 cup (100g / 3.5oz) light brown sugar
- 56 g (1/4 cup / 2oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup natural peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 195 g (1 1/2 cups / 7oz) plain (AP) flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
For the Chewy Caramel filling
- 1 1/2 cups caster (superfine / granulated)
- 1/3 cup water
- 113 g (1 stick / 1⁄2 cup) unsalted butter, chopped into cubes
- 1/2 cup thickened cream
- 125 g milk chocolate
- 2 tablespoons salted peanuts, roughly chopped
For the Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / 160C fan forced and line 2 large cookie sheets with baking paper.
- Beat the butter, peanut butter and sugar until lightened, scraping down the sides of bowl as necessary. Add the egg. and beat thoroughly.
- Sift together flour and baking powder then add it to the butter mix in 3 parts. Keep mixer on low and mix until it comes together as a dough.
- Use a cookie scoop to scoop out balls of dough (or about 2 tablespoons worth, if you don’t have a cookie scoop) and roll them into smooth balls. Set 8 balls on each cookie tray.
- Use your thumb (or the end of a pestle) to gently make a deep indent in each cookie making sure not to push a hole through the bottom. The edges of the cookies will crack but that’s ok, just carefully push together the largest cracks so you have a solid dam wall to hold the caramel in later.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes, turning the trays halfway through. They are done when you see the edges turning a little golden.
- Remove from the oven and carefully transfer to a cooling rack to cool.
For the caramel (have all your ingredients ready before you begin)
- Place the sugar and water in a heavy based saucepan over medium heat and stir gently until the sugar dissolves. Bring it to the boil and stop stirring. Allow it to boil for around 7-8 minutes, without stirring. The temperature should reach 120C / 250F on a candy thermometer and it should be amber gold in colour.
- Add the butter. Whisk it in quickly until fully combined. Now add the cream (be careful as it may splatter and bubble up) and do the same until all mixed through. Allow it to boil for 3-5 minutes until thickened and glossy. It should be a deep golden brown colour.
- Fill the centre of each cookie with caramel just to the top of the cookie dam wall. Give it couple of minutes to cool, then add a little more. Allow to set completely before proceeding.
- Melt the chocolate in 30 second increments in the microwave, stirring well between each, until just melted. It should take no longer than 1 1/2 minutes. Any more than that and you risk overheating or even burning the chocolate.
- Dunk the tops of the cookies into the melted chocolate, allow to set for a minute or so before sprinkling with the chopped peanuts.