Christmas Chocolate Lava Cupcakes
For the Cupcake Batter:
- 1 cup almond milk or non dairy milk of your choice
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup Coconut Oil warmed until liquid
- 1 1/4 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Cocoa Powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Cupcake Filling:
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup non dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
For the Frosting:
- I bought the purple frosting. You can make a vanilla frosting and add blue and red food coloring to make purple.
For the Chocolate Frosting:
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1/8 cup vegan butter
- 1/8 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- Line a muffin tin with 12 cupcake liners.
For the Filling:
- Chop the chocolate into little bits.
- Place in a small microwave safe bowl along with the non dairy milk.
- Heat on medium heat and stir in 20 seconds. Keep heating and stirring at 20 second intervals until melted.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix in.
- Set aside until time to use.
For the Cupcakes:
- In a large bowl add the non-dairy milk, apple cider vinegar, granulated sugar, oil and vanilla extract.
- Beat at medium speed with an electric mixer for about a minute or two until well mixed. Scraping down a couple of times.
- To the same bowl add the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- Mix until well blended, scrapping down the sides.
- Cover the bottom of each cupcake liner with a heaping tablespoon full of the batter.
- Place a dollop (a little more than a teaspoon) of the chocolate filling in the center. Do not let the filling touch the side of the liners because when you put the rest of the cupcake batter on top you want it yo be all around the filling so the cupcakes bake closed.
- Evenly divide the rest of the batter on top of each cupcake and have this touch the liners enclosing the filling.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 23 minutes.
- Let cool completely before frosting.
For the Frosting
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the frosting.
- Cream the powdered sugar and vegan butter together.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Scoop the frosting into a decorating bag with any tip you like, and frost the cooled cupcakes.
- Sprinkle with any sprinkles colors that you like.