Chocolate Frosted Lemon Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, solid from the fridge if necessary
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs – I used an Egg Replacer – you may use any of your favorites
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dairy-free milk – I used coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice – if the batter does not taste as lemony as you like then you can add up to 1 teaspoon more
For the Frosting
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1/8 cup vegan butter
- 1/8 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
For the Cupcakes:
- Mix the ‘eggs’ according yo your package directions. Some use more water than others. Set aside.
- Beat together the coconut oil, coconut sugar, salt and lemon juice until light and fluffy. About 3 minutes.
- Add the ‘eggs’ and beat in well.
- In a separate bowl mix the baking powder with the flour.
- Add the flour alternately with the coconut milk into the sugar mixture. Start and end with the flour. Mix until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 12 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
- Spoon some of the batter into each liner until they are all pretty even.
- Bake the cupcakes at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
For the Frosting:
- While the cupcakes are baking, make the frosting.
- Cream the powdered sugar and vegan butter together.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- When you remove the cupcakes from the over – remove the cupcakes from the pan to a baking rack and let cool completely.
- Scoop the frosting into a decorating bag with any tip you like, and frost the cooled cupcakes.
- I sprinkled some raw sugar (turbinado) on the tops. That is what the little glistening decoration on top of the chocolate.