Chocolate Frosted Lemon Cupcakes
For the Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, solid from the fridge if necessary
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs – I used an Egg Replacer – you may use any of your favorites
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dairy-free milk – I used coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice – if the batter does not taste as lemony as you like then you can add up to 1 teaspoon more
For the Frosting
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1/8 cup vegan butter
- 1/8 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
For the Cupcakes:
Mix the ‘eggs’ according yo your package directions. Some use more water than others. Set aside.
Beat together the coconut oil, coconut sugar, salt and lemon juice until light and fluffy. About 3 minutes.
Add the ‘eggs’ and beat in well.
In a separate bowl mix the baking powder with the flour.
Add the flour alternately with the coconut milk into the sugar mixture. Start and end with the flour. Mix until smooth.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Line 12 muffin cups with cupcake liners.
Spoon some of the batter into each liner until they are all pretty even.
Bake the cupcakes at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
For the Frosting:
While the cupcakes are baking, make the frosting.
Cream the powdered sugar and vegan butter together.
Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
When you remove the cupcakes from the over – remove the cupcakes from the pan to a baking rack and let cool completely.
Scoop the frosting into a decorating bag with any tip you like, and frost the cooled cupcakes.
I sprinkled some raw sugar (turbinado) on the tops. That is what the little glistening decoration on top of the chocolate.