Chocolate Dipped Candied Orange Peel Recipe
- 2 cups sliced orange peels
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- Water to cover
- 4 oz Dark chocolate melting wafers
Slice the orange peels into strips or bite sized prices. Add the orange slices and 1 1/2 cup of the sugar to a saucepan and cover with water. Stir to dissolve the sugar and bring to a boil. Cover and let simmer on low or medium low heat for one hour.
Once they are done cooking, drain them thoroughly. I typically let them sit for about 10 minutes to ensure all the water has drained off.
Spread the drained orange peel on a sheet of wax paper, large enough so all peels can be laid flat. Cover all the peels with the remaining sugar, and let sit for 24-36 hours. More sugar can be added if necessary to generously coat all the orange peels. (SEE NOTES)
Once the orange peels feel slightly firm to the touch and no longer sticky, you can dip them in the chocolate. Heat the chocolate according to the instructions. Dip each orange peel in, leaving the top exposed.
Lay the chocolate dipped orange peels on the wax paper and let dry for 20-30 minutes. Place them in the fridge to dry faster, or if you’re in a warm climate (like me).
Place them in a jar or covered container and store at room temperature for up to 3 months.
- You can adjust the quantities in this recipe if you want a larger or smaller batch of candied orange peels. Keep the ratio of ingredients the same.
- To cover the orange peels in sugar, you can either dip each one in sugar individually (this is what I end up doing), or you can pour the sugar on top and shake the pan to make sure they are all coated. The first way is a little less messy, but more time consuming.
- Candied orange peels can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for at least a month. If you dip them in chocolate, you may want to store them in the fridge to keep the chocolate from melting (depends on how warm a climate you live in).
- You can freeze the candied orange peels before you coat them in chocolate. I don’t recommend freezing them after they are dipped in the chocolate. To freeze, place in an airtight container and store for up to 3 months in the freezer.
- To make candied lemon peels, follow the same recipe instructions, but replace the orange peel with lemon peel.
- To make candied orange slices, see this recipe for Candied Lemon Slices. Just replace the lemons with oranges.