Skip to content
Chickpea Stew (Vegan, Gluten-free)
- 1 cup chickpeas, dry or two-15 ounce cans chick peas, drained
- 1 tbsp olive oil, (1/4 cup water)
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups liquid from boiled chickpeas, or vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
- If you are using dried chickpeas, sort, wash and soak them overnight. The next day drain and rinse chickpeas.
- Cover with water about 2 inches above chickpeas and bring to boil on medium heat.
- Lower heat to simmer and cook until tender, about 1 hour.
- Drain chickpeas and reserve 2 cups of liquid, set aside.
- If using canned chickpeas, start at step 5.
- Heat oil or water in a large saucepan on medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds stirring. Add bell pepper, tomatoes, carrots, chickpeas, parsley, basil and oregano.
- Add tomato paste and vegetable broth or reserved chickpeas water (aquafaba), cover and bring to boil. Reduce to a simmer for 20-30 minutes or until thickened.
- Mash some of the chickpeas, with the back of a fork to thicken stew.
- Check seasoning, add cayenne pepper and extra salt and pepper as needed.
- Delicious served with brown rice.