CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into small bite size pieces
- 4 tablespoons of light butter, such as Land O Lakes Light Butter
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1/2 cup of diced carrots
- 1 15 oz can of green beans
- 2 to 3 celery stalks, chopped
- ⅓ cup of flour
- 4 cups of lower sodium chicken stock
- 1/2 cup of 1 % milk
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of pepper
- 1 recipe for my Garlic Cheddar Biscuits
- Parsley for garnish (optional)
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large dutch oven or pot over medium-low heat. Add in the cut up chicken and season with 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp of pepper. Cook the chicken until golden brown on each side. 4 to 6 minutes. Remove chicken from pot and set aside on a plate. If your chicken isn’t cooked all the way through that is ok. It will continue cooking in the pot once you add it in with the stock.
- Add the remaining butter to the pot with the onions, carrots, and celery. Stir occasionally, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
- When the vegetables are done cooking add the flour to the pot and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Stir in the chicken stock, cooked chicken and green beans; scrape off any remainings on the bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil and continue cooking for 10 minutes. The soup will start to thicken.
- After the 10 minutes is up, add in the milk and cook and let the milk warm up in the pot. Season with remaining salt and pepper.
- Serve with my Garlic Cheddar Biscuits on the Side or on top of the soup.