Caprese Galette with Balsamic Vinegar Reduction
- For the crust:
- 1 cup flour (I used gluten free Bisquick)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup solid coconut oil
- 4-6 tablespoons ice cold water*
- For the Filling:
- 1 ball low moisture fresh mozzarella
- 2 fresh tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- For the Topping:
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 handful freshly chopped basil
- Preheat oven to 400
- In a mixing bowl or using a stand mixer combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and coconut oil until the mixture is course. Add in water one tablespoon at a time while mixer is running until you get a nice soft, moldable consistency.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper and spread out the pie crust with your hands. Just form a large circle, it doesn’t have to be perfect.
- Top with sliced mozzarella and sliced tomatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Carefully fold over the edges of the dough.
- Bake 20 minutes.
- To make the balsamic reduction:
- Heat a small skillet to medium high heat. Add balsamic vinegar and bring it to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium low and let mixture simmer approximately 20 minutes or until the vinegar has reduced by half. Remove vinegar from heat and let cool.
- To assemble: After the Galette has cooked 20 minutes remove from oven. If there is any moisture in your pan carefully drain it off. Let cool on a wire rack. When ready to serve top with balsamic reduction and freshly chopped basil.
- *I needed 6 tablespoons, but I was using gluten free flour. If you are using a different kind of flour you may not need as much liquid.