- Vanilla cake mix, plus ingredients called for on box
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1 (8-oz.) block cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 c. whole milk ricotta
- 3 c. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/3 c. mini chocolate chips
- 1 c. chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line two 12-cup cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
- Prepare batter according to package instructions. Divide batter between cupcake liners and bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make frosting: In a large bowl, beat together butter, cream cheese, and ricotta until fluffy. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt and beat until smooth and fluffy. Fold in mini chocolate chips.
- Transfer frosting to a large pastry bag (or resealable plastic bag) cut with a large tip. Using a teaspoon, scoop out middle of each cupcake to create a small well. Pipe frosting onto each cupcake, filling the wells.
- Using 50 percent power and working in 30-second increments, microwave chocolate chips and coconut oil until just melted. Stir until smooth and let cool slightly. Spoon melted chocolate on top of frosting.
- Let chocolate set slightly before serving.