- 2lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil plus more for serving
- 1lbs sausage (chorizo, linguiça or kielbasa), thinly sliced
- 1 bunch collard greens, thoroughly washed
- 4 slices bacon, roughly chopped
- 8 cups chicken (or vegetable) broth, low sodium
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Start by cutting the collard greens. Just stack three leaves at a time and roll them like cigars. Cut them crosswise into very thin strips. Proceed with the rest of the leaves until all the collard greens are done. Reserve.
- In a heavy bottomed pot, add the peeled potatoes, the quartered onion, the minced cloves of garlic, the olive oil and the chicken broth. Bring it to a boil over high heat and then lower the heat to medium low and cook until the potatoes are tender and ready to be mashed (about 20 min).
- Mash the potatoes and bring them back to the pot.
- Using a hand blender, blend the soup until smooth. You can also use a regular blender and blend the soup in batches.
- Add the collard greens, stir, and keep cooking for 15 more minutes.
- In a large skillet, fry the bacon and the sausage until the bacon is browned.
- Add the bacon/sausage mixture to the soup and cook until the soup boils again.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot with extra olive oil.
P.S. Add 1lbs more potatoes if you like your soup creamier.