Brown Sugar Banana Bread
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 4 ripe/brown bananas
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan generously with butter or line it with parchment paper.
Use a fork or a potato masher (I love using a potato masher) to mash the bananas in a bowl. Set aside.
Melt the butter in a large mixing bowl and add the sugar. Use a mixer to beat it for 2-3 minutes.
Add the eggs and mix until fully combined. Then mix in the buttermilk, vanilla, honey and Greek yogurt.
Add the mashed bananas and mix to combine.
Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a separate bowl and mix together. Add it to the wet mixture and gently fold. (see cook’s notes below)
Pour the batter into the greased/parchment paper lined loaf pan and bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes. Start with 50 minutes and test doneness with a toothpick. If toothpick comes out clean it’s done; if not, place it back in for another 5 minutes.
Remove the banana bread from the oven and let it cool in the pan for 10-15 minutes. Remove from pan and let it finish cooling on a baking rack.
- Use very ripe, brown bananas for the most moist bread. The browner, the better.
- Make sure the loaf pan is very generously greased – this will keep the banana bread from sticking to the pan.
- Be careful not to over mix the batter when mixing the flour in. I try to gently fold it in until almost all the flour is combined.
- Make your own buttermilk by adding 2 tbsp. of lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup of milk.
- Use a toothpick to determine doneness. Stick it in the middle of the loaf. If it comes out clean, it’s done. If it still has batter on it, cook it another 3-5 minutes and try again until a toothpick comes out clean.