Black Forest Brownies
FOR THE BROWNIES
- 170 g (¾ cup / 1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 50 g dark chocolate
- 130 g (1 cup) plain (AP) flour (note 2)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 50 g (3/4 cup) dutch processed cocoa (note 2)
- 200 g (1 cup) brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 150 g fresh or frozen pitted cherries, roughly chopped
FOR THE TOPPING
- 50 g fresh or frozen pitted cherries
- 1 tablespoon sugar (note 1)
- 1 tablespoon water (note 1)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 30 g chocolate shavings
For the brownies;
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F / 160 fan forced. Line an 8×8 inch / 20x20cm brownie tray with baking paper (if you crinkle it up first it will fit into the corners better)
- Melt together the butter and chocolate in the microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring well between each until just melted. Allow to cool while you get everything else together.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, cocoa and sugar together, making sure there are no lumps. Mix well so everything is distributed. Make a well in the centre and add the butter, chocolate and vanilla. Stir to distribute a little, then add the beaten eggs and stir the whole lot until just combined.
- Tip half of the batter into the prepared pan and use a spoon or spatula to spread to all the edges and into the corners. Drop the cherries over the batter layer randomly then, use a spoon to dollop the rest of the batter over the top of the cherries, spreading to cover as best you can.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until firm around the edges but the middle should still be a little soft (with a very slight wobble if you shake the pan).
- Allow to cool well before topping.
To make the topping;
- To a small saucepan, add the cherries, sugar and water. Heat gently until the sugar dissolves, then bring to a low simmer. Allow the mixture to simmer for around 5 minutes until the syrup has thickened. Allow it to cool completely.
- Whip the cream and spread over the top of the cooled brownie. Sprinkle with chocolate shavings and cooled cherry jam.