Balsamic Vinegar and Roast Tomato Marinara
- 2 pounds fresh tomatoes
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar, divided
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 6 basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Drizzle 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of Balsamic Vinegar in a large cast iron skillet or oven proof dish. Add tomatoes, onion and garlic to skillet. Roast vegetables for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes carefully remove from oven. Using tongs flip the tomatoes. When you flip them the skin will come right off. Go ahead and remove the skins and discard. Add Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, sugar, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Let the vegetables roast ad additional 10 minutes.
- Remove skillet from oven and let cook for approximately 10 minutes. Poor mixture into blender along with the last tablespoon of Balsamic Vinegar and the basil leaves. Blend until it reaches desired consistency. Serve immediately or add to slow cooker or sauce pan and keep warm until ready to serve.