- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 firmly packed Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Maple Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup cold vegan butter so you can cut it into the flour mixture
- 1 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 1/2 cups Granny Smith apples cut into little pieces
- 16 ounces Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup walnuts chopped into small pieces. The Food Processor works really well for this.
Grease a 9″ x 13″ baking pan with softened vegan butter or coconut oil.
In a large bowl mix the flour, sugars and baking soda.
Cut in the cold butter with a pastry cutter or two knives until it resembles coarse meal.
Press half of the mixture into the prepared baking pan.
To the remaining flour mixture add the oats, apples, chocolate and nuts.
Sprinkle onto the top of the mixture that is already in the pan so there are two layers.
Press in very lightly.
Bake at 375 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.
Cool 5 minutes and cut into bars.
Store in an airtight container.